Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Leaves of Bronze...


I love what I do. I'm lucky. I've already achieved what Stewart Brand and Steve Jobs admonished us to do. I see many friends and loved ones struggling to find their passion so they can get started on their life's path. I don't know how to help them except to admonish them to do as Stewart Brand did on the back cover of The Last Whole Earth Catalog: Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

Steve Jobs said: "You've got to find what you love. The only way to do great work is to love what you do. So keep searching."

My passion (besides my family) is metals. I wish I had found metalsmithing decades earlier than I did. I wish I could live forever, to do this.

There is always something new to discover, to find out about. Always a new conversation to have with fellow metalsmiths. Always a new tutorial to present to non-metalsmiths, about the magic and physical science of working with metals. So that they understand what they see when they buy or wear jewelry.

And I am passionate about my new metal: bronze. It is similar to and different from the other metals I work with: silver, copper and brass.

It inspires me to work in a more contemporary, minimalist direction than the other metals. Maybe because its bronze color is just the right shade of warm and glowing. It shows texture. It looks great with silver.

My new  Bronze Leaf Series is being born. These are two pairs of earrings in this series. I have 4 pairs available in my Etsy shop, known as cityrusticjewelry on Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/people/CityRusticJewelry

I will soon be uploading a new pendant and cuff bracelet in this series, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment