Friday, May 27, 2011

Striving for an original vocabulary...

When I took a week-long metalsmithing course at Arrowmont (Gatlinburg, TN) many years ago, my instructor stressed that we reach for a private language inside of ourselves.

I've spent about 16 years since then working toward that. A lot of metal design work is about mastering tools and skills, but it is also about thinking and finding concepts we enjoy making so we can cast our signature upon them.

My signature style includes mixing copper with sterling. I love copper's warmth, how it reveals texture and other surface embellishment, and how its coloring can be manipulated into so many colors. It also helps to keep my designs affordable, as silver costs soar beyond where they have been for almost 40 years.

I will be posting new earrings on my Etsy shop soon!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment